Hello and welcome, to our special in-depth review of the uStiletto - the latest addition to The OSIM Family.
This brand new foot and calf massager has already attracted a huge following in the Asia-Pacific regions, and we’re confident that it will be a big hit with our British and European customers too. We’ve picked (we hope you’ll agree) the two best designs, guaranteed to bring style to your home as well as comfort to your feet.
Don’t be fooled by the uStiletto’s good looks: with S-Tone Airbags to massage the ankles, soles and calves separately, and S-Care Rollers to stimulate vital reflex points in the toes, ankles and arches … our clever designers have patents pending for both features, so you won’t find them anywhere else on the market!
It’s a foot massager for women, right?
Yes, the ladies will definitely appreciate what the uStiletto has to offer. The psychological ‘feel-good-factor’ of wearing killer heels often comes at a price – read our previous blog, which dared to delve into ‘The true cost of high fashion.’ But you guys can’t wait to kick off your shoes at the end of the day too, right? So this one’s for everyone!
How does the uStiletto look?
As soon as the container arrived here, the warehouse lads were busy unloading the brand new foot massagers - and getting them ready to send out too, the list of pre-ordered uStilettos was huge by that point! Was it the impressive demonstration units already in our stores? Or the great write-up on the website? We don’t know, you tell us!
We just couldn’t wait to get our hands on one of them, and share our first-hand experiences with you. First things first: how does the uStiletto look? Well, we’ve taken lots of colour photos for this special blog feature, so you don’t have to take our word for it. On the outside, we have the strong branded cardboard box:
There are two hand sized cut-outs on either side, and these useful cut-outs make lifting and moving the boxed uStiletto a simple task for anyone.
The tape across the top of the box, and around the sides, keeps the flaps firmly closed. The plastic strapping is the finishing touch – it protects the frame of the box, and it also offers another way to safely lift and move the box.
With the help of sharp scissors (the tape and strapping are that strong!), we open the flaps and take a look inside the box. The foot massager itself is carefully wrapped in a cellulose bag.
When we lift the uStiletto out of its box, we can see a layer of protective bubble wrap attached to three of the four sides. This ensures a safe journey from supplier to us, and from us to you.
And here is our uStiletto, waiting to be unwrapped and make its grand appearance. We can already see hints of the striking colourful print, through the semi-opaque cellulose bag …
… then we lift away the bag (doesn’t it look gorgeous??!!)
… and here it is, wow! To give you an idea about size: the uStiletto comes up to Teresa’s knees (and she doesn’t have particularly long legs) and it fits easily on top of Teresa’s office chair (and she doesn’t have a particularly big … well, you get the general idea!) – the uStiletto is so compact, you won’t need to make extra room for it!
Who says a foot massager has to look boring and functional? From the front, from the sides … whichever way you look, you won’t find any clumsy corners or awkward angles on this innovative piece of massage technology. Soft curves and sweeping lines create an almost organic feel - the uStiletto is so stylish, you won’t want to hide it away!
Want to take a closer look? Okay, let’s do it! The bottom base is dark cream in colour, and those clever designers decided not to add a pattern because they wanted to show off the wonderful colour print (more about that later).
The back casing (see below, left) and the socks (see below, right) come in complementary shades of cream, and both feature a simple basket weave pattern.
But take a really good look: the classic checkerboard design is due to the special textured material, not a basic surface print – we believe these extra little touches make all the difference, don’t you?
And now for the best bit: the front casing. At first glance, you would be forgiven for thinking those delicate grey paisley swirls and dashing lipstick red shoes are woven into a cream satin fabric. Well, they’re not. You are looking at a high definition colour print, sealed under a glossy plastic shell … the enamel-like finish is quite stunning!
What does The Elegant say, about you and your home: big, bold and beautiful, of course! Or maybe you prefer something a little more relaxed, then The Homemaker is the one for you: cool, calm and carefree. Why not have some fun? Mix or match the uStiletto design with your unique personality … or your living room wallpaper!
By the way, we never focus on grand designs at the expense of basic details. For instance: the dark sock lining does fit into the overall colour scheme, but it’s also a practical choice for everyday living. So whether you choose The Elegant or The Homemaker, the uStiletto is a great looking foot massager!
How does the uStiletto feel?
Weighing just 6.6kg out of the box, most of you ladies could lift this foot massager with one hand and by one sock. But come on, it’s easier on your arms (and safer for your toes!) if you simply hug the uStiletto and use the fingertip recesses underneath. Sturdy in build, but still easy to move around – the perfect compromise.
The socks are constructed from a manmade material, which is soft to the touch and flexible enough to fold over (no hard edges, digging into your legs). Just wipe clean with a soft dry cloth on a regular basis, or as-and-when required, to keep the textured basket weave surface in tip-top condition.
Inside the socks, the dark chocolate brown lining is made from a synthetic material. With a tight weave and a small amount of stretch, this manmade fabric is hardwearing, snag-resistant and therefore highly practical.
The back casing (see below, centre) is manufactured from hard plastic. If you rap it gently with your knuckles (knock knock), you’ll hear a solid and reassuring sound. Rest assured, we believe in beautiful but practical massage products - we never put style above substance.
The front casing, as we said, has an enamel-like finish that really shows off the premium quality graphics. Run your fingertips across the vivid hues, and you’ll find a nice smooth surface. Just like the socks and back casing, a quick wipe is all it takes to keep things spotless.
If you gently turn the uStiletto over, the underside is made of solid plastic. Run your fingertips across the corners, and you’ll find durable rubberised feet. Perfect for steadying the foot massager during operation, on carpet or hard floor – just remember to pick it up, don’t drag it or push it!
The uStiletto looks high-end and feels high-end, right down to the smallest detail. The smooth and chunky zips have strong pulls …
The power cord is neatly and securely connected to the base, at the rear …
The main switch is positioned next to the power cord (see below, left of cord), making it convenient when needed and almost impossible to turn on/off accidentally …
Pop your tired legs and sore feet into the socks, look down, and the easy-to-use control panel is right in front of you. Simple pictures with one-word labels help you to select the right program (or manual feature) for every occasion – and there’s even a red light that confirms your choice, smart thinking or what!
All in all, the uStiletto looks good and feels great. Style above substance? We don’t think so!
How does the uStiletto smell?(!)
The simple answer: it doesn’t! When you take it out of the box, there is a faint smell of plastic and synthetic material. But with your legs in the socks, and the heat turned on? Smelly feet syndrome, right? Oh no … ta-dah!
Just unzip the sock (see above), and then unzip the lining (see below) …
A quick hand wash is all it takes, to keep the lining nice and clean. The washing machine is easier, but it could damage the material (even if you use a laundry bag) – you’ve been warned! And the heat function, what’s it like? Mmm … imagine a warm cuddle from a hot water bottle (rather than a rough blast from a hair dryer!).
How does the uStiletto sound?
It’s surprisingly quiet. Turn it on – a gentle hum, from the motor. Turn on the airbags - a slight crackle, as the sock interior (i.e. the plastic behind the fabric lining) unfolds then crumples down again. As for the reflexology rollers: quiet and smooth. Music or TV, reading or chatting, day or night – you’ll hardly notice the uStiletto at all.
The uStiletto experience: an acquired taste?
Yes, we know. While you were reading the ‘How does the uStiletto feel?’ section, you were probably wondering why we didn’t talk about programs or settings. Well, this section is dedicated to just that! But please remember that massage is a personal experience: read some of our views - then try the uStiletto yourself, and make up your own mind!
- “The airbags squeeze really hard, you hold your breath and wonder if they’ll ever stop. And then they stop, and you’re almost relieved. But then you can’t wait for them to do it all over again!”
- “When you’ve got small feet, only size 4, it can be tricky to line up the feet with the reflexology rollers under them. But when you do, oh my goodness! They squish out every last ounce of stress and tension.”
- “I love the heat feature. That’s definitely useful on cold mornings. I like to keep my socks on, when I use the uStiletto, but it never gets too hot even like that. And you can wash the inside, very hygienic idea.”
- “Using airbags on Hi-setting, too much for me. But turn down the strength, the squeezing is less intense. Mid-setting was perfect for me, after a long day on my feet – but pick your day, pick your strength.”
- “I like how the rollers can move fast, or slow, or on/off. My feet are extremely sensitive, so the fast and pulse modes are ideal for me. Although having extra settings means the rest of my family can have a go too.”
- “If you want a massage before bed, this sleep program is the one. The rollers under my feet, I can feel them but not too hard. But the airbags, they feel amazing, and the breathing in and out noise is actually quite relaxing.”
- “My feet are all muscle and no fat (honestly!). Really like the reflexology program, it’s maybe too strong for the other staff, but good and strong for my kind of build. Turn off the airbags, just give me the rollers!”
- “The rollers are rather strong, but I think the airbags are okay if not turned on too high. Beauty is my favourite auto program, I feel the massage is doing my feet good … but not in a no-pain-no-gain sort of way!”
- “Try the relief, or the pamper program. Their combination of squeezing and reflexology shows off the main features. A thorough massage either way. And you’ve still got another three programs to choose from.”
- “My feet are huge, but there was still wriggle room for my size 12s! And I play squash a lot, so my calves are pretty chunky. But there’s a few centimetres of ‘give’ in the socks, so zipping up is not a problem.”
- “It’s so quiet, I could fall asleep in it! But the machine stops after a couple of auto-programs (that’s 15 minutes each), so there’s zero risk of hurting my legs and feet by using it for too long. Now that’s clever.”
- “Yes, all the marketing stuff is aimed at the ladies. But I’m on my feet all day, so if uStiletto is big enough for my feet, my male ego isn’t too big to use it! Anyway, my other half will like the design, it does look nice.”
So there you have it. The uStiletto is jam-packed full of features, and you’ll soon discover your personal favourites. But take a look inside the free operation manual (written in English, and Chinese) – lots of helpful advice on how to customise your massage experience, and how to look after your new uStiletto.
The foot massager has come a long way in a short time. And we at OSIM have moved with the times too. From the iSqueez workhorse in the early 2000’s (see below, far right), to the stylish uStiletto of today (see below, left and centre):
We believe that being functional and being fashionable doesn’t have to be a choice. And we’re confident that our designers have achieved exactly that: a beautiful foot massager, for beautiful feet.
PS. Don’t forget, whether the uStiletto is a gift to yourself, or a present for someone else:
Beautiful feet are for life, not just for Christmas.